How do I establish water service when I move into the District?

  • Please call our Customer Service Department ahead at 281-499-1031 so that we may pre-register you before coming in to sign your Service Agreement, to pay deposits and possible inspection fees, if due.
  • The current residential deposit is $150.00 and $50.00 for any inspections that may be due.
  • When you come in, please bring your government issued I.D., such as a driver’s license or passport. Your Service Agreement will be completed and assigned an account number. Payment will be due at that time for the deposit and any inspections that may be due. If an inspection is due, we will set a date that our inspector can come out between the hours of 2 – 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday. In order for the inspection to be done, someone 18 or older must be at the house.
  • We accept Visa, MasterCard, cash, checks or money orders for payment of deposits and inspections.
  • Commercial deposits begin at $200.00. Please call ahead so that we may calculate the correct amount of your deposit and any inspections that may be due.
What is Backflow?

  • The undesirable reversal of flow of a liquid gas, or other substance in a potable water distribution piping system as a result of a cross-connection.

Types of Backflow

  • Back Pressure- A pressure, higher than the supply pressure, caused by a pump, elevated tank, boiler, air/steam pressure, or any other means, which may cause backflow.
  • Backsiphonage- A type of backflow where the upstream pressure to a piping system is reduced to a sub – atmospheric pressure.

What is Cross Connection?

  • A cross-connection is any faulty plumbing connection to a potable water supply system through which potable (drinking) water is supplied to a service outlet and through which contaminants unfit for human consumption can enter the potable water lines by back pressure or back- siphonage backflow.